Sunday, November 12, 2006

Children's Privacy

I saw a news article several weeks ago on the Today Show. The issue they were addressing was privacy for teenagers. The professional they had on the show basically said parents need to make privacy decisions based on the child. Upon first glance that may sound acceptable. However, the article seemed to neglect a primary principle of parenting....SAFETY. As a parent and bonus parent I am responsible for the safety of my family. Although the internet is for the most part safe, it has many vulnerabilities. My 13 y/0 bonus daughter loves using "My Space" to stay in contact with her friends. Here again, I think it can be a great tool for communication and fun. However, she only 13 y/0. She is vulnerable even though she does not think so. How can she know of the risks? She does not have the life experience or maturity to know that she is at risk. Therefore, it is her mother's and my responsibility to be diligent in our pursuit of safety. Nothing, absolutely nothing on the internet is private. Once it is on the world web someone with enough knowledge and determination can have access to that information and trace it to the exact location. This is where the vulnerability lies and a question emerges. How far can we as parents move into our children's world without an personal invitation? I basically think that if I believe a risk exists, I have the right and obligation to be involved. What do you think?

By the way, My Space is the website that one of the major television networks entraps sexual abusers. They have entrapped many, many sick and perverted people.

Stay Strong; Stay Positive

Golden Jenkins, M.Div., M.Ed., LPC

LifeCare Coaching
Auburn, AL
334.444.3500

Caring For Your Life is Our Passion

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Dr.Bev said...

I believe that privacy is a balance and also has a developmental level to it.

For example, when my son was 3yo he never considered closing his door when changing clothes. Now that he is 9yo, he has become more likely to close his door, but not always. I'm sure that by 16yo, that door will surely be closed :-)

In respect for his privacy, I knock before entering his room and expect the same from him.

In regard to computer privacy, I agree that I have a parental responsibility to keep my children safe. We manage this in our home by having the computer in a "common" area.

As with the example above, I believe that there is a developmental component to computer use. At present, my kids are 7 and 9 and are not allowed on the internet. What could a 7 and 9yo need the internet for? Any computer games they play are from CD's/software.

As they get older, they will surely use the internet for school and communication. In my future, I see the computer still in the common area of our home so that computer and content are accessible to all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home